OUR NON-PROFIT SPANISH ENGLISH LANGUAGE FUNDATION (SELF)
SELF is a vision of Spanish Is Fun Director, Silvia Velez and Spanish interpreter, Jack Mudry. Both Velez and Mudry are active members of the Latino community as well as believers in equal opportunity and bilingualism for Denver residents.
SELF was founded in 2009 with Jack Mudry’s second 30th birthday party which included 12 different musical groups representing North American and Latino American culture. More than 350 people attended this community event.
For more information about SELF, go to: SELFmismo.org
SUMMER CAMP 2013
Fiesta Summer Camp 2013 will give children the opportunity to learn, play, and create in a Spanish environment. They will engage the whole week in Spanish culture and language —from cooking to the final day of camp!
THE SPANISH ENGLISH LANGUAGE FOUNDATION (SELF) IS PROVIDING SCHOLARSHIPS FOR CHILDREN TO ATTEND OUR ANNUAL SPANISH SUMMER CAMPS. BELOW YOU’LL FIND THE LINK TO THE SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION.
Apply here : SELF Summer Camp Scholarship Application
Print and mail to 400 S. Colorado Blvd. Suite 230 Denver CO 80246 or send an email to email@example.com.
To learn more about SELF go to: www.selfmismo.org
WHAT HAS SELF DONE SO FAR?
- Since 2009 SELF has provided scholarships for children to attend our annual Spanish Summer Camps.
- Summer Camps were provided by Spanish is Fun Language School and Translations.
- Look at the happy faces of children who attended a Spanish is Fun Summer Camp!
- Plus, in 2011 SELF held a PUBLIC LIBRARIANS’ TRAINING. Thanks to their support, librarians from all around the Denver metro area were able to hone their professional bilingual skills to better serve the community.
- Americans lose 200,000 business projects per year because they do not know foreign languages.
- Research shows that knowing more than one language can delay the onset of Alzheimer’s and dementia.
- Foreign language students exhibit superior creativity in solving complex problems.
- Multilingual people exhibit a more complex brain development resulting in enhanced muscle control and broader sensory perception.
- Knowing more than one language allows easier access to cultures and experiences.
SELF will achieve a more culturally aware and diverse social landscape by providing language and culture instruction to underprivileged children, teens and adults. Through funded programs, scholarship recipients will gain an understanding and appreciation for the many faces of the Americas.
SELF is continuously raising funds through community events to award scholarships to at least ten participants per year.
Scholarships go towards:
- Spanish Language Summer Camps where children ages 4 to10 learn Spanish through fun, interactive activities
- Non-profits in the Denver-Metro area that need Spanish language training
- Exchange programs between Spain and other Latin American countries and the U.S. for underprivileged children and teens to learn language and culture
SELF and Spanish Is Fun Language School
Spanish Is Fun Language School (SIF) donates all the teachers, curriculum, and classes for SELF scholarships.
Silvia Cubillos Velez, a Colombia native, founded Spanish Is Fun with the vision of providing a Spanish language school in Denver, Colorado that could be a Colorado’s passport to the Spanish speaking world.
SIF offered the first Spanish Summer Camp for children in Denver as well as many other programs to engage its students in the Spanish language and cultures.
THE SELF FAMILY
Board of Directors
Silvia Cubillos Velez, Jack Mudry, Katelin Lucariello, and Meredith Berman
Events and Public Relations
SELF will continue to provide opportunities for cultural and linguistic acquisition in both English and Spanish for families with limited financial resources. SELF believes in offering scholarships to language programs such as group classes, summer camps, cultural immersion and international exchange.